Australia is a vast unique country full of beauty, unique landscapes, thousands of kilometres of stunning coastlines and places to visit. Have you put together your Australian Bucket List yet? If not, let us help you and if you have already, maybe we can inspire you to add a few more from our A – Z of the Best Australian Bucket List Experiences.
Related reading: Top Australia Cities and Towns for your Next Staycation
- 1 A – Alice Springs 30 Minute Hot Air Balloon Ride
- 2 B – Broome Sightseeing Tour and Optional Camel Ride at Sunset
- 3 C – Cradle Mountain Day Tour from Burnie or Devonport
- 4 D – Daintree Rainforest and Mossman Gorge Luxury Tour
- 5 E – Skydeck Tickets With Optional Edge experience Melbourne
- 6 F – Fitzroy Island Full Day Trip
- 7 G – Great Barrier Reef Sailing Cruise
- 8 H – Hunter Valley NSW Hot Air Balloon Flight
- 9 I – Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk
- 10 J – Jervis Bay NSW Whale Watching Tour
- 11 K – Kangaroo Island Full-Day Tour from Adelaide
- 12 L – Lions, Wine & Limousine The Lanes Vineyard South Australia
- 13 M – Murray River Lunchtime Cafe Cruise on the PS Emmylou Echuca Victoria
- 14 N – Ningaloo Reef – Whale Shark Swim and Catamaran Cruise
- 15 O – Otway National Park – The Apostles and the Great Ocean Road
- 16 P – Phillip Island Penguins Day Tour
- 17 Q – Queen Victoria Foodie Market Tour – Melbourne
- 18 R – Rottnest island – Perth Day Tour Including Bike and Snorkel Hire
- 19 S – Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb
- 20 T – Taronga Zoo sydney – top bucket List Sydney experience
- 21 U – Uluru Morning Guided Base Walk With Breakfast
- 22 V – Victor Harbour Southern Ocean Adventure Cruise
- 23 W – Wirra Wirra Lunch and McLaren Vale Winery Tour
- 24 X – XXXX Brewery and Alehouse Tour
- 25 Y – Yarra Valley Hot Air Balloon Flight
- 26 Z – Zoo General Admission Tickets at Australia Zoo
A – Alice Springs 30 Minute Hot Air Balloon Ride
Float gently over the Australian Outback, the MacDonnell Ranges and the desert on your 30-minute hot air balloon ride. After landing you can enjoy tropical fruit and celebrate with sparkling wine. A hot air balloon ride at sunrise is one of the top things to do in Australia.
For the latest accommodations deals in Alice Springs – find out more information here
B – Broome Sightseeing Tour and Optional Camel Ride at Sunset
We have all seen those glorious photos of stunning sunsets on Cable Beach and people enjoying the iconic camel rides on the shores of Cable Beach. The Broom Sightseeing Tour includes:
- Broome’s Chinatown
- Visit a local pearl shop – Broome is famous for its cultured pearls
- Enjoy a beer at Broome Brewery
- Dinosaur footprints
- Japanese cemetery
- The tour includes entry fees, beer tasting, sunset nibbles and transfers from Broome and Cable Beach Hotels.
The tour operates from June to October on Mondays and Thursdays from 12.30 pm to 6.00 pm.
Duration 6 hours.
Find out the latest accommodation deals in and around Broome here
C – Cradle Mountain Day Tour from Burnie or Devonport
If you are staying in Burnie or Devonport a day tour to the Cradle Mountain National Park is definitely a bucket list experience. Enjoy a walk around Dove Lake with your guide and learn about the history of the area and its importance to Tasmania. Your tour also includes a visit to the Town of Murals Sheffield, morning tea and park entry fees.
Timings: 08.30 am to 5.00 pm
Pick up from your accommodation in Burnie or Devonport
D – Daintree Rainforest and Mossman Gorge Luxury Tour
A full day luxury world heritage Daintree Rainforest tour in Mercedes vehicles. At around 1,200 square kilometres the Daintree Forest is part of the largest continuous area of tropical rainforest on the Australian continent. The Mossman Gorge covers an area of 56,000 hectares in the Daintree Forest just 20 minutes north of Port Douglas and 45 minutes from Palm Cove.
The tour includes:
- wander through the pristine Mossman Gorge with your private guide
- spot crocodiles on your Cooper Creek cruise
- morning tea
- Gourmet Lunch at a hidden rainforest location
- Daintree River Ferry Crossing
- Cape Tribulation
- Pick up from Cairns or the Northern Beaches (some costs may be involved for pick up and drop off)
- Tours depart 07.20 and 08.20
Find out the latest hotel deals in Port Douglas here
Find out the latest hotel deals in Palm Cove Here
E – Skydeck Tickets With Optional Edge experience Melbourne
The Southern Hemisphere’s highest viewing platform is where you can experience 360-degree views of Melbourne from the 88th level. Purchase your tickets in advance and avoid the queues. The Optional Edge Experience projects you 3 metres outside the building in a glass box – suspended almost 300 metres above the ground! The only place in the world where you can experience this from an observation deck, that is if you dare!
Opening Hours: Wednesday and Thursday: 4.00 pm to 9.00 pm last entry 8:30 pm.
Friday: 4.00 pm to 10.00 pm last entry 9:30 pm.
Saturday and Sunday: 12.00 pm to 10.00 pm last entry 9.30 pm.
CLOSED Monday and Tuesday
Find out more on the latest accommodation deals in Melbourne here
F – Fitzroy Island Full Day Trip
If you are on a budget this is the best way to explore Fitzroy Island from Cairns departing at 9 am from the Cairns Marina on board the Fitzroy Island Ferry. Fitzroy Island is an unspoilt tropical paradise of rainforest and beaches within the calm sheltered waters of the Great Barrier Reef. Fitzroy Island is a National Park, discover spectacular walking trails, abundant marine life, and local wildlife.
Your tour includes:
- Return ferry tickets for the 45-minute journey
- 6 hours on the island
- Specify whether you would like to order a hot or cold lunch on booking (extra costs)
- Activities include snorkelling, glass-bottom boat tours, kayaking, island adventures and much more.
- Departure time 9.00 am
If you want to stay on Fitzroy Island find out more details here
Related reading: Where to stay in Palm Cove
G – Great Barrier Reef Sailing Cruise
One of Australia’s top bucket list experiences is sailing around the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland.
Your tour includes:
- full-day Great Barrier Reef Sailing Cruise with visits to two outer reef locations
- snorkelling tuition
- hot and cold tropical buffet lunch
- guided snorkel tour
- morning tea with coffee tea and muffins
- afternoon tea with a cheese platter
- scuba diving demonstration
- wetsuits in winter and stinger suits in summer
Extras not included:
- reef levy fee
- introductory and Certified scuba diving
Timings: check-in at 7.15 am for an 8.00 am departure, return at 5.00 pm from Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal
Find our deals on accommodation in Cairns here
H – Hunter Valley NSW Hot Air Balloon Flight
Soar high over the Hunter Valley and its vineyards at sunrise on a hot air balloon flight. Included in this incredible Hunter Valley experience is a gourmet champagne breakfast at the Peterson House Winery & Restaurant.
Duration: 1-hour balloon flight
Find out the latest Hunter Valley accommodation deals here
I – Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk
A 1.5-hour walk through the Illawarra Rainforest 45 m high above the rainforest floor. Outstanding views over the Illawarra escarpment. Suitable for all ages. Don’t forget your camera.
Open weekends only from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm – last entry at 3.00 pm. Allow 1 hour for your visit.
Looking for boutique accommodation nearby in Moss Vale – check out The Nunnery Boutique Hotel here
Check out more accommodation in Bowral in the Southern Highlands here
J – Jervis Bay NSW Whale Watching Tour
The tours operate from May to November departing at 10.30 am and 1.00 pm for 2 hours. The calm waters of Jervis Bay offer a safe haven for the migrating whales who love to frolic with their young in the warm waters.
Departures from the Jervis Bay Wild’s Cruise Terminal.
Find out more information on the latest accommodation deals in Jervis Bay here
Jervis Bay can be included in a road trip from Sydney to Canberra via the South Coast of NSW.
K – Kangaroo Island Full-Day Tour from Adelaide
Return travel from Adelaide and Glenelg by coach and ferry to Kangaroo Island. This is a popular Adelaide experience. Visit Seal Bay Conservation Park for a guided beach walk, enjoy a two-course lunch at Vivonne Bay Bistro, visit Flinders Chase National Park including visits to Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch, at Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park see the kangaroos and koalas. Additional costs are holding a koala.
Tours depart at 6.45 am from Adelaide Central Bus Station 85 Franklin Street Adelaide and returning at 10.40 pm.
Find out the latest accommodation deals in Adelaide here
L – Lions, Wine & Limousine The Lanes Vineyard South Australia
Travel in style to the Adelaide Hills and your first stop at the Monarto Safari Park, the largest open zoo in the world. Come face to face with the Lions in a protected enclosure. Enjoy a 5-course lunch with wine at the Lane Vineyard restaurant.
Find out information on accommodation deals in Adelaide here
Related reading – 6 of the Best Barossa Valley Winery Accommodation
M – Murray River Lunchtime Cafe Cruise on the PS Emmylou Echuca Victoria
Cruise the Murray River on the prettiest paddle steam the PS Emmylou. There is a cafe-style lunchtime menu available with a licensed bar. The 1.5-hour cruise takes you past some of the best scenery along the Murray River.
Two departures daily from the Riverboat Dock, Watson Street, Echuca.
Find out more information on the latest accommodation deals in Echuca here
N – Ningaloo Reef – Whale Shark Swim and Catamaran Cruise
Explore Ningaloo Reef on a 55 ft sailing catamaran. Swim with whale sharks and come face to face with a number of marine life including dugongs, sea turtles, dolphins, tropical fish and even manta rays. Snorkel equipment is included.
Enjoy complimentary transfers from your accommodation in Exmouth and morning and afternoon tea and a buffet lunch.
Tours operate from March through to July.
Find out the latest information on accommodation deals in Exmouth here
O – Otway National Park – The Apostles and the Great Ocean Road
A Melbourne Bucket List experience is taking a full-day tour from the city where you can hike through the ancient rainforest of the Great Otway National Park, view in awe the 12 Apostles and travel the Great Ocean Road. During the day tour a visit to Kennett River, Apollo Bay and Bells Beach completes a full day of exploration touring the Great Ocean Road.
Tour operates daily except Wednesdays.
Related reading: Where to Stay in Melbourne
P – Phillip Island Penguins Day Tour
Another popular Melbourne experience is to visit Phillip Island and the penguins. Your tour departs Melbourne daily from 10.00 am – 11.00 am (June to August) and 11.00 – 12.00 pm (September to May) and returns back between 9.00 pm and midnight.
Your tour includes:
- Visiting the colourful Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes
- Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park
- Phillip Island Penguin Parade
- The Point Grant and the Nobbies
- Seal Rocks
Related reading: Where to Stay in Melbourne
Q – Queen Victoria Foodie Market Tour – Melbourne
This is the perfect tour for food lovers when you are visiting Melbourne. Your 90-minute guided food tour in Queen Victoria Market, the largest open-air market in the Southern Hemisphere includes:
- Visit some of the market’s top food traders
- taste fresh seafood, handmade pasta, cheese, meats and delicious antipasto
- enjoy a glass of local Victorian wine, hot jam doughnut and a seasonal fruit platter
- Queen Victoria market shopping bag
- $5 shopping voucher
Tours depart: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 10.00 am
Find out more information here on the latest accommodation deals in Melbourne
R – Rottnest island – Perth Day Tour Including Bike and Snorkel Hire
Travel by ferry from Perth to Rottnest Island departing at 8.45 am and returning at 5.00 pm from the Barrack St Jetty in Perth. Your day tour includes:
- Ferry tickets
- Rottnest Island Admission Fees
- All snorkelling equipment
- Bike hire with helmet
- Hotel transfers
- Swan River Cruise with commentary from Perth only
- Guided quokka walk
- explore the secluded bays and wonderful beaches
- see fish and colourful marine life
- have a picnic lunch
- Take a tour up to Oliver Hill on the Captain Hussey, view relics to the Rottnest Museum, Lomas Cottage and Pilot Boat House
- Splash and slide on the floating aqua park in Thomson Bay
Find out information here on accommodation deals on Rottnest Island
Find out the latest information on accommodation deals in Perth here
S – Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb
A top bucket list Sydney experience is a Sydney Harbour Bridge climb. Your experience lasts 3.5 hours with some of the most incredible views in Sydney.
Day climbs depart daily between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm – book here
Night climbs depart daily between 3.55 pm and 7.00 pm – book here
Twilight Climbs depart daily between 2.30 pm and 7.00 pm depending on Sunset – book here
Sampler Climb duration 1.5 hours daily between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm – book here
Are you looking for accommodation in Sydney? Find out more here.
T – Taronga Zoo sydney – top bucket List Sydney experience
If you haven’t been to Taronga Zoo in Sydney now is the time to visit. its location on the Sydney Harbourfront is the best in the world. One of the best exhibits for that Sydney photo is the Giraffe enclosure. Watch the koalas sleep and eat in their own special enclosure and watch the antics of the meerkats and more.
There are various ways to visit Taronga Zoo:
Taronga Zoo and Ferry Pass with Sky Safari – book here
Taronga Zoo General Admission Tickets – book here
Taronga Zoo Entry and Return Ferry Combo – book here
Find out more about hotels in Sydney here
U – Uluru Morning Guided Base Walk With Breakfast
Our Australian Bucket List experience when we can travel again is the Uluru Sunrise Base Walk with breakfast.
Departing 1 hour before sunrise to head to Uluru for a 10.5 km guided base walk. After breakfast, we visit the Kuniya Piti a sacred Uluru site where we learn about the Anangu, the inhabitants of Uluru and their beliefs, laws and stories.
We will then embark on the Mala Walk and visit the Kantju Gorge before heading along the Lungkata Walk and visiting the Mutitjulu Waterhole.
Your tour finishes around 11.00 – 11.30 am.
If you need accommodation in Uluru check out the latest deals and availability here
If you need accommodation in Alice Springs check out the latest deals and availability here
V – Victor Harbour Southern Ocean Adventure Cruise
A 90-minute wildlife and whale discovery tour from Victor Harbour in South Australia. The Duck Ship departs from Granite Island Causeway to north Granite Island, Seal Rocks, Wright Island and The Bluff, West Island and then returns back. Along the way, you will see New Zealand Fur Seals, Australian Sea Lions, seabirds, dolphins and whales (when in season).
Daily departures at 11.00 am and 2.00 pm from the Main Wharf, 1 Esplanade, Victor Harbour
If you need accommodation in Victor Harbour – click here for the latest deals and availability
W – Wirra Wirra Lunch and McLaren Vale Winery Tour
Visit the Wirra Wirra Vineyards in McLaren Vale, one of the popular wineries in the McLaren Vale region. There you will enjoy a 3.5-hour wine tasting and a 2-course lunch. You will also learn about the techniques that Wirra Wirra use in their winemaking. The tour also includes tasting five of Wirra Wirra’s best wines complemented with a regional chocolate platter.
Operates Monday to Friday at 11.00 am.
Looking for accommodation in the Mclaren Vale region – click here for more details
Need accommodation in Adelaide – check out the latest deals here
X – XXXX Brewery and Alehouse Tour
For the top Brisbane Experience enjoy a XXXX Brewery and Alehouse Tour where you can enjoy tasting several beers from the 135-year-old brewery. Learn the history and the process behind making Queensland best beers.
Tours run for 90-minutes six days a week; Monday to Friday at 11.00 am, 1.00 pm, 3.00 pm and 5.00 pm and Saturdays at every half hour from 11.00 am to 2.00 pm.
Want to experience more things to do in Brisbane? Check out 100 things to do in Brisbane here.
Need accommodation in Brisbane – find out about the latest deals and availability here
Y – Yarra Valley Hot Air Balloon Flight
What could be better than a bucket list adventure soaring over the Yarra Valley at sunrise in a hot air balloon? An option is to enjoy the gourmet champagne breakfast at Balgownie Estate.
Tours depart from Balgownie Estate 1.5 hours before sunrise.
Book your once in a lifetime Yarra Valley experience here
Would you like to stay in the Yarra Valley – find out more about accommodation deals and availability here
Z – Zoo General Admission Tickets at Australia Zoo
Purchase your tickets in advance for Australia Zoo and skip the queues.
Australia Zoo is one of the top Sunshine Coast attractions and is known as Australia’s top zoo.
- The Crocoseum – Check out our resident Masters of Ceremonies doing their thing during the wildlife shows, as well as a whole host of crazy and hilarious characters
- Tiger Temple – Home to our majestic Sumatrans and Bengal tigers, the Tiger Temple provides an amazing opportunity for you to get up-close with these magnificent big cats
- Africa – Crikey! It’s as wild as life gets at Australia Zoo’s new open range exhibit – Africa. Stage one is now open and you can see the only multi-species African exhibit in Queensland
- Witness the wonderful team of vets as they treat and rehabilitate injured, sick or orphaned wildlife at Wildlife Hospital, one of the largest and busiest wildlife hospitals in the world
Do you need accommodation in Brisbane? Click here for the latest deals and availability.
We hope you have enjoyed our best things to do in Australia. What will be your next bucket list experience? Australia has so many fun things to do and more activities and adventures are added each year.
Please share with your family and friends and we would love to hear from you if you have enjoyed any of our experiences.
More travel inspirations for your next Staycation in Australia:
Join us on our Facebook Group for more travel inspirations.
We are also on Instagram – subscribe here.
Join our Youtube Channel here.
We are on Pinterest. Are you? Join our Staycation in Australia travel boards here.